John A Bowleg, P.E. C.Eng, C.Env, C.Sci (Hydrology)
Mr. Bowleg is Assistant General Manager for the Strategic Coordination & Planning Division / Reverse Osmosis Unit (WROU) at the Water & Sewerage Corporation (WSC); also a Professional Engineer/Hydrologist and Department Head of the Water Resources Management Unit (WRMU). He has more than twenty-five years of engineering and environmental experience in the USA, Latin America & the Caribbean.
WRMU is responsible for the identification, and assessment of the groundwater resources throughout the Commonwealth of the Bahamas. Mr. Bowleg is involved in all matters concerning groundwater abstraction, reverse osmosis processes, wastewater effluent disposal, drainage, coastal zone management, wetlands, and other environmental related aspects.
WROU shall operate, per strategic guidance, to assist WSC in curtailing the present expenses related to required water purchases, RO contracts/operations, and their related energy expenditures for water production.
In accordance with a key international environmental convention, Mr. Bowleg serves as Chairman of the National Wetlands Committee (Ramsar Convention) to implement the countries goals/policy regarding wetlands.
On account of his WRMU duties, and the Country’s obligations to International Conventions; he presently serves as:
- Water Resources Government Representative to the Organization of American States (2002 – Present), Inter-American Water Resources Network (IWRN) Board Member (2009 – 2012).
- Ramsar Convention on Wetlands – Bahamas Representative to Ramsar (2003 – Present), Vice-Chairman of Standing Committee / Caribbean Representative @ Ramsar (2005 – 2008), Member of the Management Working Group @ Ramsar (2009 – 2012).
- Global Water Partnership Caribbean (GWP-C) – Country Representative (2004 – 2015).
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO) – Hydrological Advisor for the Bahamas (2004 – Present).
- UNESCO-IHP – Hydrological Representative for the Bahamas (2007 – Present).
- International Water Association (IWA) Caribbean Regional Representative & Water & Sanitation Specialist Group Member
(2013 – Present).